MidiTzer "PupiTzer" Linux Uploads

Installation of the Miditzer on Linux machines
Joe
Admin Group
How many Style 216 did Wurlitzer make?: 0

Post by Joe » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:43 am

I can't get it to work either, it looks at the CD then moves on to the hard drive and loads Windows.

Has anybody suceeded with this version?

RoyR

Post by RoyR » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:12 am

Joe,

Have you burned the CD as an ISO image? It won't boot if you just copy the file in Windows Explorer.

Have fun,

Roy.

johnh

Post by johnh » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:22 pm

Joe wrote:Has anybody suceeded with this version?
Sure, I burned my ISO with NTI DVD-Maker    and it booted right up on my system.

grumpyom

Post by grumpyom » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:57 am

I need cardbus support for my usb ports on my laptop. The onboard ones are mechanically defunct.  The cardbus/usb ports do work fine in Studio 64, Debian. Any suggestions?  Gary

Wurlitzer28

Post by Wurlitzer28 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:03 am

Well as someone who has experienced the learning curve on Windows, VB, Assembly 32 bit parallel processing,  I fully expected to have some issues with Puppy as I can only spell Linux with a spell checker.

However, it all went well for the Puppy part but I do have issues running MidiTzer.

This same PC 1Ghz, 512 Meg ram, Creative SB Live sound card,  actually runs MidiTzer very well in Win XP. However, when running in this OS, I get constant cyphers. The other applications seem fine.

One thing I did notice, in reading the forum there was a comment about a message screen opening after Jack and Qsynth launched. I have never seen that. Also, I do not know if right out of the box the Qsynth functions should work but changing the controls does not seem to have any impact on the sound.

The sound quality when it is playing normal does not seem as good as under XP but again, I have done zero configuration with Qsynth and Jack.

I know less than zero about the Linux structure so if a driver has to be loaded for this sound card then I would appreciate any assistance that you may offer.

Wurlitzer28

Post by Wurlitzer28 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:30 am

Is this still an active project?

I posted something a few days ago regarding Puppy/MidiTzer but it looks like there has not been any activity in the Linux world for MidiTzer for some time.

I am having a ball with this [in the windows world] using my 1928 Wurlitzer 2 manual 10 rank TO with MidiTzer adding some additional ranks/stops. I designed and built my own electronic relay which generates the MIDI messages and it was as simple as plugging in the MIDI cable to the PC to get MidiTzer to work with my console. Outstanding!

It is great to practice [something I need to do 24 hrs a day to just be bad at this] without running the blower for the pipes.

Anyway, if I get my head around the 216 version in Linux then I want to get the 260 in Linux to really add a bunch of fun stuff to my existing pipe organ.

Thanks to everyone who has worked on this!
Craig

ggoode.sa

Post by ggoode.sa » Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:36 am

Hi Craig, Sorry for not responding sooner, I'm swamped with a couple of other projects at the moment... and recovering from flu :-(Glad that you gave Puppitzer a try!! Just a few questions to help us get to grips with your system...1. In Qjackctl, click on the "Setup" button. Then let me know what the Sample Rate is set to and whether the "Audio" option has been set to "Playback only".2. In Midizter, within the settings (right click on the top windowbar and select "settings", what are the ranks configured to? fluidsynth or Qsynth?What a wonderful world VPO provides :-)GrahamGJohannesburg, South Africa

Wurlitzer28

Post by Wurlitzer28 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:51 pm

Graham, thanks for the reply. I hope you are feeling better.
These programs are just the thing to get me back on track after about 14 years of restoration on the pipe organ.
#1) In Qjackctl the sample rate is set to 48000 and "Audio" is set to "playback only".
#2) In MidiTzer settings I see it is set to FluidSynth for all ranks.

Some other settings that may or may not shed light on the issue:

In Qjackctl:
Frames/Period =1024
Periods/Buffer = 2
Port Max = 256
Time Out = 500 msec
Interface = hw:0
Dither = none
Output Channel = 0
Latency 42.7 ms

Other values were grayed out.

In MidiTzer:
From the "INPUT" Tab
Solo = Ch1
Acc = Ch 1
Ped = Ch 3

Input Devices = SB Live (CT4780)

From the Fluidsynth tab:
Sample Rate = 44100
Number of buffers = 16
Buffer Size = 512

Thanks again for the reply and my best regards to you!
Craig

ggoode.sa

Post by ggoode.sa » Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:02 pm

Hi Craig,Thanks for the info.In Qjackctl, change your Sample Rate to 41000, your Frames/Period to 512, your Periods/Buffer to 4, your Timeout to 5000 and then click on the 'Save' button. Then back in the Qjackctl main window click on 'Stop' and then 'Start' to restart the Jack server with the new options.In Miditzer see if you can change all the ranks to Qsynth. You are currently running Miditzer using the builtin fluidsynth through the WINE (Windows emulation layer) which is probably causing the cyphers. We need to use the Qsynth (linux native) fluidsynth that connects directly to JACK.In Qjackctl, click on the "Connections" button. In the Audio Tab you should see Qsynth on the left connected to System (or something like that) on the right. Click on the "ALSA" tab at the top and you should see the MIDI ports.I'm not running this right now as I'm typing from bed :-) so my memory might be a little off... hopefully I've provided a way forward.GrahamG

Wurlitzer28

Post by Wurlitzer28 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:55 am

Honestly, Graham this could have waited till you were out of bed.

Well your suggestions were a major improvement. The latency seems to be better than Windows now.

In playing the Ron Reseigh concert, it played very well until the "be kind to your web footed friend" part which of course had fairly heavy registration. At that point it started to choke.

As pointed out by others the play "run time" display does not increment but that is not an issue. Everything else seems to be perfect.

Any additional thoughts would be greatly appreciated but get out of bed first.

Have a great day and thanks again for your help.
Craig.