MidiTzer "PupiTzer" Linux Uploads

Installation of the Miditzer on Linux machines
Wurlitzer28
How many Style 216 did Wurlitzer make?: 0

Post by Wurlitzer28 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:25 am

Some additional information:

I noticed after the point in Ron's concert which caused all the cyphering, that the manuals and pedal board were no longer animated even though the playing sounded fine.

The stop tabs all moved and you could watch the Swell pedals operate but nothing moved on the manuals/pedal.

The only way to restore the KB animation was to close MidiTzer then restart it.

CPU usage seemed to spike at the problem point

The "free memory" always displays 482.

Wurlitzer28

Post by Wurlitzer28 » Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:39 am

Not a lot of activity on the Linux topic lately.

I'm now trying to use a Win98 PC to run Puppy and MidiTzer with some success.

However, I cannot seem to locate a Linux driver for my Ethernet card which is a KALEX 94V-0.

There was a site that claimed to have one but it was an EXE with a sex video and virus contained within. AVG caught it.

I need the driver and unfortunately step by step instructions (as I can only spell Linux not use it) to get it loaded off a Floppy  as right now there is no network communication on the PUPPY PC so I have to download via a Windows PC to a floppy.

toplayer2

Post by toplayer2 » Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:17 pm

Craig,
You may have an interest in the work being done primarily by Graham Goode to package a 3/29 Linux VTPO based on Robert Kingdom's jOrgan dispo and my GigaStudio samples running under LinuxSampler (all free stuff).  Graham will soon be releasing a beta which will run under Puppy (as well as Ubuntu, etc.).  See the discussion on the VTPO forum:

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/VTPO/messages

Joe

ggoode.sa

Post by ggoode.sa » Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:43 pm

Hi Craig,Which version of Puppy are you using? If you're using the original Puppitzer then you're using fatfree pup which is based on 3.01. There will be a new Puppitzer to try later this month which uses either Qsynth (for low spec computers) or Qsampler (for higher spec computers).Linux 'drivers' are kernel modules that are created when the kernel is compiled. You will likely not be able to find a 'driver' for it but perhaps it is already created -  have you tried any of the 'legacy' versions of puppy? They will have modules for most of the older hardware.What chipset does your KALEX 94V-0 have? From a quick internet search it looks like it uses the S82557 chip, which is the Intel pro100 - for which there is kernel code available so I would hope that the modules are too.For an easy WORKAROUND, in Win98 go to the how-to pages in the your internet browser and do the 'save page as' thing to save the the info to your local drive, then access the drive from within Puppy and read the info.Will keep the forum posted on when the new version is available.GrahamG

Wurlitzer28

Post by Wurlitzer28 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:30 am

SOLVED: From the command line I entered :

"modprobe eepro autodetect=1"

That seemed to allow Puppy to see my network card. From there it was simply a matter of going through the configuration test then DHCP and the PC now sees the internet!

Some day I might understand what I just did.

Thanks again,
Craig

Thank you for the reply to my post!
I am running Puppy 4.0.

The chipset is "S82595FX"

From the Connection Wizard: "Load a Network Module"

I see an "e100 : Intel (R) Pro 100 Network Driver" and I have tried to load it but still get the "No New Interfaces were detected" message.

I had created a driver disk with multiple Windows versions e100x.inf and used the Wizard to try the various .inf files to no avail.
=========================================
EDIT: You asked if I had tried some of the older Puppy versions. Well I would if I could. I have a 3.something that works ok running MidiTzer on a Dell WinXP machine (significant latency and locks up under many notes and heavy registration I had loaded on this Win98 PC and it ran albeit it  very slow.

I have tried to use the 3.x CD on this PC now but since 4.0 was running the PC says the CD-ROM boot faulted and just jumps to loading Win98. I don't know how to get the PC to run the 3.x
========================================

This card does work in the same PC under Windows 98 (soon to be removed)

I will try the save from Win98 and subsequent read info process you described (have not been that successful looking a Win files in Puppy but I am sure it is part of the learning process)

Thanks again,
Craig

Wurlitzer282008-11-03 10:38:41

moonskin

Post by moonskin » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:35 am

Wurlitzer28 wrote: [
"modprobe eepro autodetect=1"
Some day I might understand what I just did.
Hi Craig

The modprobe command allows loadable kernel modules to be added to the kernel.

What you said was "Please modprobe, could you load the kernel module for the eepro NIC. I'm sorry I don't know it's io port and IRQ number so try and detect them yourself."

The good piece of detective work was finding that your NIC was the eepro.

Does the setting hold after a reboot or do you have to reenter it?

Cheers
Graham

Wurlitzer28

Post by Wurlitzer28 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:57 am

Thanks Graham ! Actually it was you that put me on the trail. You mentioned the chip set and mine was slightly different so I did a search for that chipset rather than the board ID.

Buried in a post for a Unix BB was the reference to the Module name and in another post someone had used that syntax to load another type of Ethernet module. So I put both of them together and it worked.

It does seem to have retained the connection upon re-booting the PC so I am assuming that the connection information resides on the small file stored on the HD.

Thanks again,
Craig

Wurlitzer28

Post by Wurlitzer28 » Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:00 am

ARRRGH!  Graham, you must have a crystal ball. The settings did NOT get retained. I had opened and closed the web browser but not re-booted as I thought I had.

I had been traveling this week and when I launched Puppy today the network card settings were gone.

I need to figure out how to retain these settings. Any input will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Craig

elpaharo

Post by elpaharo » Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:44 am

Wurlitzer28 wrote: 

I need to figure out how to retain these settings. Any input will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Craig

CraigJust something to try (I do not have Puppy so I am unsure of the file set and command syntax used in Puppy):Try to ADDmodprobe eepro autodetect=1
to the start section of /etc/init.d/networking, following the line:
log_begin_msg "Configuring network interfaces..."This step worked for me but, like I said, I do not have Puppy so I do not know if the same syntax will work there. Linux has so many distros it os hard to keep up with the syntax that will work in each case. elpaharo2008-11-09 06:53:57

Wurlitzer28

Post by Wurlitzer28 » Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:49 am

Thanks Bill, I'll give this a try in about an hour.  I'll post my results then.

EDIT: Bill I could not find the Network sub-directory and of course no such file to edit.

I notice when I go to shut down I see a message Puppy_save.2fs mounted top layer already saved. I question if that is correct. Is Puppy_save.2fs correct for Puppy version 4.0? Wurlitzer282008-11-09 07:30:31