MidiTzer "PupiTzer" Linux Uploads

Installation of the Miditzer on Linux machines
Russ
Moderator Group
Spam Stopper: theatre organ
How many Style 216 did Wurlitzer make?: 12

Post by Russ » Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:55 pm

It should play MIDI files just the same as the Windows one does. See Grahams post above. It just thinks that it can't load the Fluidsynth because Qsynth is using the sound card.

Russ
Moderator Group

Post by Russ » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:14 pm

ggoode.sa wrote:Hi Y'all,There are 4 default usb-audio drivers loaded at boot. If you have a 2x2, 4x4, or 8x8 you will probably need to load the virmidi drivers as well and use JACK to assign the various usb midi ports to the virtual midi ports that Wine should then see. Let me know if you need help setting this up.
High Graham,I think we need to allow for the 2x2 and 4x4 as a lot of people will be using them and it would be good to have it set up for plug and play if that is possible. I have a 2x2 I can use to test with though I don't use it usually. Can you walk us through that and explain about the vermidi please?

Russ
Moderator Group

Post by Russ » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:42 pm

Hi Graham,
Just booted the new one again, and I noticed that it starts with the
icons for winecfg, alsamixer, Jack, Qsynth all on top of the standard
icons on the left with the 1028 x 760. No big deal I expect. Also, Jack starts with an
Xrun.

RoyR
How many Style 216 did Wurlitzer make?: 0

Post by RoyR » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:56 am

Hi, Russ,

I've never used a USB memory stick, but it sounds an interesting idea. When I started with Puppitzer I had to go into BIOS to make CD the first boot device. The only options were CD and hard disk. Does a USB stick somehow become bootable when you plug it in?

Have fun,

Roy.

RoyR

Post by RoyR » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:15 am

Hi, Eugene,

I had that too. On my machine the video options screen appeared, but was overtaken by Miditzer before I could set anything.

On reflection, I should probably have said 'No' at the Miditzer startup screen and set the video.

I found CNTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE got me back to sanity. The video setup remains minimised at the bottom of the screen, so you can recall it, set a suitable mode, then restart Miditzer.

This only happens once. Next time you boot it remembers your settings.

Talking of remembering settings, I find I have to use the Miditzer setup screen to find the keyboards every time I start up.

Maybe I'm missing a 'Save' option somewhere???

Have fun,

Roy.

Russ
Moderator Group

Post by Russ » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:48 am

RoyR wrote:Hi, Eugene,

Talking of remembering settings, I find I have to use the Miditzer setup screen to find the keyboards every time I start up.

Maybe I'm missing a 'Save' option somewhere???

I have the same trouble. It will keep one keyboard in the "Active" box but I have to drag the other two over from the "Available" box. then I have to allocate the keyboards again to the manuals. I have a Post-it note that says Solo>Mid, Acc>Top, so that I can quickly get the right ones. I have always had to do the second part I think but it is a drag.

elpaharo

Post by elpaharo » Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:48 pm

Tried the iso image on my HP a6010n 2 gig speed with sony HS95p monitor. Everything looked good during boot, but, after that all looked like crap. The qsynth and jack and screen resolution setup all flooded the screen with windows and complaints about stuff not working right. Then miditzer complained about stuff that I couldn't copy fast enough to explain to you. When I finally got a 216 screen the sound was scratchy and pulsating ( not normal). I exited from miditzer and the computer locked up. My sound card is a creative Xfi advanced gamer. It works great under XP and Vista but is probably not supported in Linux.Not quite plug and play for me.I have zero experience with  linux/puppy so I have no knowledge base to go any further. If I need to know linux to do get this going then I am doomed. How many people out there will try to sort out the problems with no level of tech knowledge of this opsys.As the stated goal is put the disk in and go, well, I failed.Thank you for all your efforts, and I know from reading the threads that linux folks can get it going. So that part is great, but, us newbies........

Russ
Moderator Group

Post by Russ » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:42 pm

elpaharo wrote:As the stated goal is put the disk in and go, well, I failed.
Hi Bill,Thanks for the report. You didn't fail, You succeeded in finding out something that didn't work which was the object of the exercise. We failed, now we have to find out what went wrong. This is not for geeks, it is for people who just want a Miditzer and want it to work, just like your cellphone. Who cares what powers it.You say it looked ok during the boot. Can you remember what you selected for the video? There was the resolution and you need the biggest there is, and then the colours on the end, which should have been 24 otherwise you will get a blotchy green Miditzer. Did you do a test and get a pattern which looks like sailboats but isn't?After Jack and Qsynth open there will be message window which will have a lot of messages on them and then there will be a Miditzer window pop up which will say that it can't load the audio driver. DON'T CLICK IT!!Everything should stop right there. The reason for the Miditzer message is that Qsynth is using the sound card so Miditzer's fluidsynth can't open it. There should be space around the open windows and the desktop icons should be spread out and not piled on top of each other. You should be able to scroll through the Qsynth and Jack messages. If it looks ok click that Miditzer window and see what happens next. Can you check that for me please?ThanksRuss2008-01-27 19:45:45

Organ531

Post by Organ531 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:46 pm

Russ,

I tried to boot from the CD I burned with your Linux system.  I changed the computer's bios to boot from the CD drive, but it continued to boot from the hard drive and install WIN 98 instead.  After I made the change I think there was something in the bios said it would look for an operating system on the hard drive and if none was found, then it would boot from the CD drive. 

I was hoping your program would work since the computer at my organ will not run the newer versions of Miditzer.  The only way now is to run a midi cable the 20 feet from the organ into my 'office' computer that is running Win XP.

I'll keep watching.
Don

Russ
Moderator Group

Post by Russ » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:16 pm

Organ531 wrote:Russ,

I tried to boot from the CD I burned with your Linux system.  I changed the computer's bios to boot from the CD drive, but it continued to boot from the hard drive and install WIN 98 instead.  After I made the change I think there was something in the bios said it would look for an operating system on the hard drive and if none was found, then it would boot from the CD drive. 

I was hoping your program would work since the computer at my organ will not run the newer versions of Miditzer.  The only way now is to run a midi cable the 20 feet from the organ into my 'office' computer that is running Win XP.

I'll keep watching.
Don
Hi Don,Thanks for trying it. You have to set the BIOS so that it looks at the CD drive first. Unless you erase or disconnect your HD there will always be an operating system on the Hard Drive, unless you get a boot sector virus.When you get to choosing the Video choose the one with 24 at the end. If you only get 16 then you won't run the new version. Don't forget to hit the test button to test it. Good luck.