midi file

Photo Gallery for Member's Miditzers
henry
Spam Stopper: theatre organ
How many Style 216 did Wurlitzer make?: 12

midi file

Post by henry » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:41 pm

hello
this is my first time posting on this forum. i downloaded miditzer yesterday and i found that far surpasses the free version of hauptwerk. the first time you start it up it plays a midi file for you. first you get a piece from i think bach. then you the entertainer by joplin (i also play piano) then you get a march. i am very sure i have heard it play as a demo on a keyboard before. i was wondering if somebody could tell me the name of this march. thank you

rmac
How many Style 216 did Wurlitzer make?: 0

Re: midi file

Post by rmac » Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:35 am

The name of the march is "Yankee Doodle Dandy". Played by a fife and drum band during the Revolutionary war, made into a song by George M. Cohan in 1942. Believed to be of British origin, google it.

Bob The virtual organist.

Jim Henry
Admin Group

Post by Jim Henry » Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:43 am

You can see Mickey Rooney singing and dancing the song in the movie of the same name here:
http://youtu.be/EKeYS1P9j1c

Hi s frequent co-star, Judy Garland, joins him at the end.

And here is a fife and drum corp doing "Yankee Doodle":
http://youtu.be/ihvdxsZPvkw
Jim Henry

henry

Post by henry » Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:03 pm

Yes, I know that was Yankee doodle, but is that piece that is played right before that just an improvisation or actually a part of a song. Thank you.

rmac

Post by rmac » Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:24 pm

All I hear between the two is a drum demonstration and short introduction. There is a ending that is probably not what was written in the original piece. This is what makes theatre organists interesting compared to AGO organists. (AGO organists don't get mad at me, you know what I am trying to say.)

Bob The Virtual Organist

Jim Henry
Admin Group

Post by Jim Henry » Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:25 pm

"Yankee Doodle Dandy" is a Broadway show tune that borrows from "Yankee Doodle". I think what you are hearing is probably more or less what Cohen wrote for "Yankee Doodle Dandy". What you hear played when the Miditzer first starts is an excerpt of about 1/2 hour of music that organist Ron Reseigh knocked out in a single take, except for a small bit that he overdubbed just to try out the Miditzer's ability to record what you play along with something being played from a MIDI file. Ron would have played all this by ear so it isn't going to be note for note accurate to anything. You can hear Ron's entire performance by playing "Ron Reseigh Concert 1.mid" which is in the same directory as the Miditzer program.
Jim Henry

StentorVox

Post by StentorVox » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:37 pm

One of the highlights of those who comprise the Theatre Organ world is the strength of improvisation evidenced by the modulations between medley titles, as well as the awesome ability of this instrument to vary registrations to close out one song and anticipate the upcoming title.

Much of this was the result of those who accompanied films created prior to sound movies (so-called "silent" films). Motion pictures would go from gooey romance to shrieking horror to pie-in-the-face humor and it was the job of theatre organists to provide a bed of appropriate background accompaniment. Bells and gongs, whistles and chirping birds, sirens, drums, surf and other contrivances unheard of on classical and church instruments augmented such expression at the control of the organist.

In addition to giving us the MidiTzer, Jim has enabled us to play what others have recorded. I enjoy downloading available MID files to experience on my system medley transitions by those who excel at the art of improvisational modulations. Hopefully, those with such skills will add their music here to expand the list for others of us to learn how to diversify our own musical interpretation.

pk
StentorVox.com

kperry

Post by kperry » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:52 am

About the midi file one of the tunes almost sounds like Popeye the sailor man and I can’t figure out the name of it but I may be right.