Tremulants - 216

Find out what all those theatre organ console button do
ChuckH
How many Style 216 did Wurlitzer make?: 0

Tremulants - 216

Post by ChuckH » Fri Dec 31, 2021 7:37 pm

Hi Jim,
I noticed only recently that the Solo Tremulant tab on the 216 is dedicated to the Oboe rank.
Is that correct? I can understand the Tibia and Vox Humana having dedicated Trem tabs.
Charles
Charles Hughes

Jim Henry
Admin Group
Spam Stopper: theatre organ
How many Style 216 did Wurlitzer make?: 12

Re: Tremulants - 216

Post by Jim Henry » Sat Jan 01, 2022 3:26 pm

Yes and no. The assignment of ranks to a trem tab is a mix of practical and artistic decisions. Tremulants are mechanical devices connected to the pressure regulator for a wind chest that create pressure fluctuations in the air supplied to the pipes on that wind chest. Each trem tab starts or stops one of these trem motors. You will always have a least one tremulant per chamber because you have to have at least one wind chest per chamber. All Wurlitzer theatre organs with two or more chambers have a Main and a Solo trem tab.

The 216 has ten ranks of pipes and five are placed in each chamber. Putting equal numbers of ranks in each chamber is again a practical matter. There is sort of a standard for which ranks go in the Main and Solo chambers but on some Styles a rank will be moved from the customary chamber to balance the number of pipes in each chamber.

In the 216, all the pipes in the Main chamber share a common wind chest. Thus the Main tremulant controls all the ranks in the Main chamber.

The ranks in the Solo chamber tend to be the ranks sometimes used in a solo capacity as suggested by the chamber name. Thus, some of these ranks are winded separately and provided with their own trem.

The Vox Humana uses a lower wind pressure and therefore always has its own wind supply and trem tab.

The Tuba is winded separately and has its own trem tab; I don't remember if this is for artistic reasons or because the Tuba needs a higher wind pressure.

If I remember correctly the original 216s did not have a separate tab for the Tibia. That may have appeared in the later produced 216s or it may be something that became such a common modification that I included it in the Miditzer. The reason for providing a separate trem for the Tibia is to allow a different trem speed and depth than the other ranks.

At this point only the Oboe and the English Horn are left on the Solo winding.

There is debate over whether or not Wurlitzer put English Horns on tremulated wind supplies. Regardless, almost everyone agrees that a tremulated English Horn does not sound good. You can tremulate the English Horn in the Miditzer if you want to decide for yourself. On the Output tab of the Miditzer settings you can select which patch is used for the untremmed (Bank 1) and tremmed (Bank 2) sound for each rank. If you right click on the "50" for English Horn Bank 2 and select "0" the English Horn will be tremulated by the Solo trem.

And finally the Oboe stands alone as the one rank on the Solo wind supply that nobody messes with.
Jim Henry

ChuckH
How many Style 216 did Wurlitzer make?: 0

Re: Tremulants - 216

Post by ChuckH » Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:37 pm

Thanks for the detailed reply Jim - fascinating stuff.
All the best for 2022,
Charles
Charles Hughes