Unexpected rssults

You need one or moreMIDI keyboards to really play the Miditzer
RobertM
Spam Stopper: theatre organ
How many Style 216 did Wurlitzer make?: 12

Unexpected rssults

Post by RobertM » Sun May 30, 2021 11:15 am

Hello everyone,

This is my first post on your forums having just discovered MidiTzer.
I installed all three free versions on a Windows 10 laptop with no problems at all.
As I had no way to connect my SX900 arranger or Keystation 61 by DIN cables I decided to try USB to host with a common printer cable and was very surprised to find it worked! The most unexpected result was that both manuals on the program activated with either or both Right 1 and Right 2 on the arranger! That is, R1 controlled upper manual and R2 the lower.
Even more surprising is features like harmony on the arranger work too and it seems the arranger is treating Miditzer as a source of very nice Wurly voices.

My question; is this normal and expected using USB to host when your instructions refer to standard 5 pin DIN connection only?

Regards to all,
Robert.

Jim Henry
Admin Group

Re: Unexpected rssults

Post by Jim Henry » Sun May 30, 2021 12:14 pm

Yes, it is expected that the Miditzer will work with newer keyboards that connect to the computer with USB cables rather than the older 5 pin DIN cables. The Miditzer relies on Windows to make the connection to the MIDI keyboard. As Windows adds connections for newer keyboard, the Miditzer can make use of them.

The Miditzer has been around for over 15 years. Some of the documentation is a bit dated. Don't be afraid to try newer things even if you read something that doesn't mention it. It might work. And always feel free to ask questions. Theatre organs didn't come with instruction manuals. You have to ask questions and experiment to figure out what you can do with them.

We are working on an update to the Miditzer. Not much will change for users but it should run better on newer computers. Keep an eye on the Development Labs section of this Forum for updates about the new version.

Welcome to the Miditzer community. Have fun!
Jim Henry

RobertM

Post by RobertM » Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:20 pm

Hello Jim,
Thanks for your reply and invitation to ask questions, so here are my first ones.....
1. Would be nice if the piston lights stayed ON after selection as an indicator. Is this possible?
2. I've noticed some interaction between the Registration and OTS buttons on my arranger and the tabs on Miditzer, so is it possible to assign these buttons to the pistons? (Yamaha SX900.)
3. Failing #2, how can I interface a diy piston selector?
Thanks,
Regards,
Robert.

Jim Henry
Admin Group

Post by Jim Henry » Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:43 am

RobertM wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:20 pm
1. Would be nice if the piston lights stayed ON after selection as an indicator. Is this possible?
No, there is no setting that will cause the piston lights to stay on. That is by design for reasons I won't go into. It has been discussed before so you can search if you are curious. The bottom line is that the stop tab positions are your indicator, just as it would be at a real Wurlitzer.
2. I've noticed some interaction between the Registration and OTS buttons on my arranger and the tabs on Miditzer, so is it possible to assign these buttons to the pistons? (Yamaha SX900.)
Very likely yes. You will need to figure out what MIDI codes the buttons on your arranger are sending. The information can probably be found in the arranger's manual. But it will probably be easier to use a tool like the free MIDI-OX to just capture that information. Most likely at least some of those buttons are sending MIDI Program Change (PC) messages. PC messages are easily configured to control the Miditzer's pistons. Once you know the exact messages being sent, I'll help you with the Miditzer configuration if you are having problems figuring it out.
3. Failing #2, how can I interface a diy piston selector?
Another way to activate the pistons is with the computer keyboard. On the Style 216, <F1> to <F10> are the Solo Pistons, <1> to <0> are the Accompaniment pistons, <Q> to <O> are the Pedal Toe Studs. <Delete> is Cancel, one of the few things on the Miditzer that isn't found on real original Wurlitzer theatre organs.

The document about using MIDI-OX found here may be helpful: https://miditzer.org/forum/viewtopic.ph ... f77f58dc7c
Jim Henry

RobertM

Post by RobertM » Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:26 am

Thanks Jim,
I'll try midi-ox as I can't use F1 to F10 buttons. I use a folding 2 in 1 laptop on music rest so they are not accessible. Miditzer 216.
Robert.

Jim Henry
Admin Group

Post by Jim Henry » Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:58 pm

Graham Wykes' Miditzer Settings documentation found here may be helpful:
https://miditzer.org/forum/viewtopic.ph ... a87#p20219
Jim Henry