You need one or moreMIDI keyboards to really play the Miditzer
csw900
Groupie
Spam Stopper: theatre organ
How many Style 216 did Wurlitzer make?: 12

Re: 2nd touch on the 260

Post by csw900 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:25 am

To rmac

I am afraid your logic loses me, I am not sure what you are trying to prove!!

If the "default" 2t channels you have been using in your midi files play correctly when played on the correct organ then you must be using the correct channels. If you try playing and simultaneously recording (on a 260) one of your 260 midi files with 2t I think you ought to find that your 2t channels get "lost" in the recording. I would be interested to know if this prediction is correct!

To All

I have now done two tests which demonstrate quite a lot and give me final conclusions.

1. Set keyboard to channel 15 -- an unused channel for 216 and 260.
2. Start up the 216 and set its accomp input to ch 15 and its 2t accomp input to channel, 0, ch15
3. Start recording, open an accomp stop and several accomp 2t stops. Play some notes both with and without 2t
4. Save the recording and examine it with a midi editor -- accomp plays and is recorded on ch2, 2t plays and is recorded on ch 12

5. Repeat with 260 accomp first and second touch set to ch 15 and make a recording with stops set and using both first and second touch
6. Save the recording and examine it with a midi editor -- accomp plays and is on ch2, 2t IS NOT RECORDED on any channel.

Conclusions:
1. Default recording channels are fixed and not influenced by the INPUT channel settings for either first or second touch.
2. 2t plays correctly and is recorded correctly by the 216.
3. 2t plays correctly but IS NOT RECORDED at all by the 260.

Thus the 260 needs some work to find out why it does not record 2t. I do not think there are any other problems in this area (until proved otherwise).

csw900

PS The next day: I have now established the reason the 260 does not record 2t. Established by connecting midi-ox to the 260's midi output. The 260 is outputting 2t NOT ON the 2t default midi channel BUT ON the first touch default midi channel i.e both first and second touch are output on the same midi channel. This is sufficient to explain all the observed results.

The 216 outputs first touch on the default first touch midi channel and outputs 2t on the 2t default channel and this is why it works correctly.

csw900

csw900
Groupie

Post by csw900 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:10 pm

To all

I have now made a short midi file with a midi editor, it contains a short scale on midi channels 2, 11 and 12 with a couple of stops set so it plays sound.

Here is the bad news -- channel 2 plays correctly but if you close the channel 2 stop while it is playing there is silence. Also if you then open a great 2t stop while it is playing there is also silence.

Thus it is a waste of time editing any midi on to the 2t channels 11 and 12 because they do not play -- rmac please note.

I currently do not know why they do not play but the result is not altogether surprising.

My 2t inputs are set up as in my previous post, i.e. accomp input to ch 15 and its 2t accomp input to channel, 0, ch15, so that the 260 plays 2t from my keyboard.
test260.mid
csw900
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jim Henry
Admin Group

Post by Jim Henry » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:45 pm

csw900 wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:07 am
If you have it and can send me a copy (in confidence) I will have a look and see whether I can help.

csw900
I've sent you a private message.
Jim Henry