Compatibility for Mac?

Job one is installing the Miditzer and getting it configured
maxdude74
Spam Stopper: theatre organ
How many Style 216 did Wurlitzer make?: 12

Compatibility for Mac?

Post by maxdude74 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:40 pm

Just discovered this software and it is beyond amazing. I really want to be able to use it and experiment with it but I do not have a windows computer, and do not plan on getting one in the future. As old as this software is, I’m surprised there hasn’t been a version released for Mac. Is there potential for this in the near future?

Jim Henry
Admin Group

Re: Compatibility for Mac?

Post by Jim Henry » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:45 am

No, there are no plans to port the Miditzer to a Mac. I don't have the knowledge or the equipment to do that. People have run the Miditzer on an Intel based Mac using Boot Camp. See
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=1503

The Miditzer will run on surprisingly anemic hardware. You might find a Windows computer being given away that could be a dedicated Miditzer machine.
Jim Henry

csw900
Groupie

Post by csw900 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:35 pm

Hi maxdude74 and all others interested in organs,

I have tried running Miditzer 216 on mac computers under Wine. It almost works.
You can try it out if you install Wine first. You will need the old version of Miditzer,
before the full screen display version was issued. (The full screen display did not work
for me under Wine).

However an organ that I guarantee will work on an Intel mac is my eplayOrgan
which simulates miditzer and many other organs it will play all the miditzer midi
files and it can be played manually (3 manuals + pedals). It is a windows program
but was designed to run on almost any computer with an intel processor -- including
macs and Linux (under Wine).

You can get it from my website https://midimusic.github.io

This site also has around 1000 midi files in e-roll format which it will also play
using eplayWin32. This also works on a mac or linux under Wine.

csw900

AllenRi

Post by AllenRi » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:08 am

Did you have any breakthrough with this, csw900? Or are you not even trying to get it to fully run on mac anymore?

csw900
Groupie

Post by csw900 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:24 pm

Hi AllenRi

There is no breakthrough and none is likely. The latest Macs appear to have so many problems with audio and organs (T2 chip and usb data loss) that I doubt whether their perceived superiority for organs will last much longer.

I suggest you do what Jim has suggested and get an old Windows computer for Miditzers. Lots of perfectly serviceable desktop Windows computers are being junked every day and you should be able to get one free. Try to aim for an Intel core i5 with HD sound built in.

csw900