Viscount BX20 MIDI Organ

Job one is installing the Miditzer and getting it configured
orakjk
Spam Stopper: theatre organ
How many Style 216 did Wurlitzer make?: 12

Viscount BX20 MIDI Organ

Post by orakjk » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:59 pm

I am using a Viscount BX20 MIDI Organ with Miditzer 216. The manuals work very well as MIDI controllers, but I cannot get the pedals to transmit MIDI to the virtual organ. I am running the program on XP and am using an EMU midi to USB cable. Anyone have any suggestions or does anyone know if the Viscount BX20 can transmit MIDI from the pedal board?

Jim Henry
Admin Group

Re: Viscount BX20 MIDI Organ

Post by Jim Henry » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:15 pm

You'll notice an LED flickering on the Emu USB plug when you press a key on the manuals. If you get the same flickering when you press a pedal, then the pedals are transmitting MIDI.

If the pedals are transmitting MIDI and the Miditzer isn't responding to the pedals, then it is probably just a matter of adjusting the MIDI channel that the Miditzer is looking at. There are "proper" ways to figure out that channel setting but I'd suggest just trying them all until you find the one that works. There are only 16 possible channels. You already know it isn't the two channels being used by the manuals nor the third channel currently set for the pedals. Only 13 more to try. :D

However, if the LED isn't flashing or if the trial and error method doesn't work, then we can dig a bit deeper.
Jim Henry

rattley
How many Style 216 did Wurlitzer make?: 0

Post by rattley » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:13 pm

Hello,

I had one of those Viscount organs years ago. Sadly, I got rid of it because the pedals didn't transmit midi..........only the 2 manuals. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. -charley

Jim Henry
Admin Group

Post by Jim Henry » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:18 pm

Thanks for providing that information Charley.

Orakjk, if you are a bit handy with electronics, there is a possibility that you could Midify the pedalboard.
Jim Henry

orakjk

Post by orakjk » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:09 pm

Thanks for the info. had a feeling that since the bx20 is not described as full midi that pedals probably did not transmit. I have a Korg midi pedal boargd but was hoping to use the Bx20 since I picked up in great shape for less than $100.

AlexJer

Post by AlexJer » Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:44 pm

Dear Experts! Please help me find a user manual for Viscount BX20 MIDI Organ. And service manual with diagrams too.

Thanks!

Jim Henry
Admin Group

Post by Jim Henry » Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:54 am

You might want to try the Viscount organ forum, if you haven't already:
https://viscountorgans.net/viscount-organs-forum/

This page purports to have links to BX20 manuals:
https://luxixapefo.shopinfo.jp/posts/22174322

I see you found the following manual:
http://www.viscount.at/Downloads/Physis ... -_v115.pdf
And that it has already been pointed out that it is not the manual for a BX20. You commented that you understood nothing at all from the manual. Don't feel too bad about that. Manuals for MIDI keyboards are notoriously difficult to understand and often lack truly important details. But if you can't understand the manual, I'd suggest you think long and hard about spending time trying to make something of the BX20. My feeling is that you need to be someone who doesn't need the manual to have a reasonable shot at making something useful of the BX20.

Reading a bit of the discussion you have had at https://forums.musicplayer.com/ and your quest to use the BX20 as a controller for the B3X, a Hammond organ emulator?, I must say you are going to run into many of the same issues trying to use the BX20 with the Miditzer. The Miditzer might be a little easier since the Miditzer has been designed to provide work-arounds for shortcomings in your console hardware. The ultimate being that you can play just about everything with nothing more than the screen and a mouse. Not well of course, but it can be done. So there will be some way to fill in for anything you can't do from the BX20 console. The big shortcoming will be that apparently the BX20 pedals do not send MIDI. If you have the ability to play the pedals, even a little bit, that will be maddening.

Hate to rain on your parade, but I think you are heading down a long road that ultimately won't take you to where you want to go. Perhaps if you want to share what you want to do, what skills you have, and your budget, we might be able to point you in a more productive direction.

One thing I would suggest is to watch for 61 note MIDI keyboards at garage sales and the like. Even the lowliest of keyboards are useful as long as they have MIDI. Casio and Yamaha make inexpensive entry level keyboards that parents often buy for their kids, which wind up gathering dust in a closet after a month or two. USB MIDI has been the norm for long enough that you'll probably find keyboards with USB MIDI being offered at "get it out of my house" prices if you watch for them. Having a MIDI keyboard or two that "just work" is the best way to start learning about MIDI. Once you have something that works in MIDI, then you can start on a more gentle climb to learning MIDI details.
Jim Henry

AlexJer

Post by AlexJer » Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:19 pm

Dear Jim Henry! It was not possible to download the user manual for Viscount BX20 MIDI Organ from your link! It is also impossible to see. Maybe you have a direct link? Are there any Schematic Diagrams (Service Manual) for Viscount BX20 MIDI Organ?

AlexJer

Post by AlexJer » Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:16 am

Dear Jim Henry! There is a connector on the lower manual to the left of the keyboard. Please tell me, do you know what it is for? I photographed this plug.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jim Henry
Admin Group

Post by Jim Henry » Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:03 am

Dear AlexJer,

Everything I know about Viscount organs is contained in my post above. I have never even seen a Viscount organ.
Jim Henry