MAC OS X

Hang out chat, and share pictures and recordings with other organists backstage
prkraft
How many Style 216 did Wurlitzer make?: 0

Post by prkraft » Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:35 pm

WILL THIS SOFTWARE EVER BE MADE AVAILABLE FOR OS X??  I own an iMac. I'm not going to buy a PC just to use this software.  When are Mac owners going to be thought of when it comes to developing this kind of software?HARTFORD, CT

moonskin

Post by moonskin » Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:04 pm

To put this into perspective, I own a Mac G5 tower so I appreciate what you are saying on one level.

However, if you want software developed for multiple platforms, the developers have to have access to multiple platforms and be justly recompensed both for the expense of this and for the time it takes to develop on different platforms.

This tends to be the province of software companies and you will have to pay for this privilege.

Jim and Crew have done an amazing job and done it for free.  They have developed for Windows because that is what they have.  There is no deliberate intent to exclude Macs.  It's just the way it is.

BTW, I actually run my Miditzer on a second hand machine using WINE under Linux.

Cheers
Graham

engrssc
Moderator Group

Post by engrssc » Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:24 pm

Probably not the answer you are looking for, but you can install Windoz on a Mac to run MidiTzer. Compared to buying Hauptwerk and even one TO sample set, adding a Windoz partition to a Mac plus the cost the MidiTzer 216 or even the 260SP, your are money ahead. (You probably know H/W runs on both Windoz and OS X). As a comparison, a digital TO, even used is even more. Aside from not natively running MidiTzer on a Mac,  MidTzer is quite a bargain.

Right now, I am waiting for my Parallels for Mac software to see if I can use MidiTzer on my G5. Parallels even at list price is $70 USD, still cheaper than a PC. Will have to see if it works, tho. This is something akin to the folks that have gotten MidiTzer to work with Linux.

In answer to your question regarding Mac owners being thought of, etc, etc, Jim Henry, who developed (along with Crew) this program, isn't being paid to do this development work. Strictly a labor of Theatre Organ love. No one working on development on this Forum is paid either. (Same as above).

Rgds,
Ed

silentfilmmusic

Post by silentfilmmusic » Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:03 pm

I've been running Miditzer on my MacBook for nearly 2 years, with a Windows partition and BootCamp.  I have also downloaded Parallels Desktop to check it out (you get a free 15-day trial).  In order to run Windows on Parallels you have to have a Windows install disc.  Hopefully there is someone out there who is a Mac programmer who will find out about Miditzer and offer to make an OS X edition of Miditzer.Ed, glad to hear you're going to try Parallels, too, so we can compare notes. Ben

silentfilmmusic

Post by silentfilmmusic » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:11 pm

Initial trial with Parallels 3.0 had too much latency, otherwise everything functioned fine.  I tried using my external USB soundcard (Turtle Beach) as a workaround for the latency - since my guess is that Parallels was sending the Miditzer/Windows sound to the Mac sound system, causing the latency - but Parallels didn't seem to like the TB.  Latency was gone, but a lot of crackly noises in the audio.  Haven't had a chance to try more testing, but I'm sure there's a workaround for the latency or issues with the soundcard.  Stay tuned.Ed, had any time to give this a whirl?Ben 

compton

Post by compton » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:48 pm

Hi all
have a Mac G4 sitting at home , can anyone tell me how to add the partition to the hard drive and add windows 98 or XP? the machine is a 533mhz processor and 320mb ram. Running 10.1.2

Any pointers will help.

Cheers
ian

moonskin

Post by moonskin » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:59 pm

Boot Camp only works for intel based Macs, not the G4.

Here is some really good info.

http://www.macwindows.com/emulator.html

Cheers
Graham